​​Girls Tennis, league champs!

Back-to-back titles.

Tennis racquet from one of the players on the team.

Matthew Young

Matthew Young, Staff Writer

During this wonderful fall season, the Oakmont girls tennis team made an outstanding achievement and gained the title of League Champions. With a record of 9-1, the girls swept through the division with few complications.

The team’s coach, Coach Bacchi, tried to really focus on academics before the sport this year and made sure that his team was doing well in classes before anything else. 

Regardless, that didn’t stop his team from not only having good grades, but also playing great tennis. “This year, I really focused on the student-athlete portion… potentially winning back to back league champs, and getting some due street credit.” Bacchi said.

This is what drives him to be the tennis coach at Oakmont High School.

Bacchi believes that the season as a whole was shocking. “I was thinking it would be more of a potential rebuild because we had a lot of seniors graduate,” Bacchi said. “I was really happily surprised to find out that the seniors this year really stepped up and not only have become better players, but better role models.” 

With the title “League Champs,” the season was successful.

One of the captains, Salma Aboukhadra, started playing tennis 10 years ago and hopes to be playing professionally in the future. Aboukhadra really looks up to Serena Williams and Venus Williams and their stories. Heading into the last match of the league, Aboukhadra was looking to do great against Placer and work very hard.

Both Bacchi and Aboukhadra have some favorite moments of the season and both are just as special. Coach Bacchi’s favorite moment is beating their rivals, Placer High School, for the first time in the season as well as the team’s senior night. 

“I felt like it was really special this year,” Bacchi said. 

Aboukhadra’s favorite moment was playing against Roseville High School in a tiebreak. Aboukhadra gave everything she had and it was very rewarding for her.

This season is one to be celebrated for the girls tennis team here at Oakmont and the work they put in this season shows.