OHS baseball week five recap

The Vikings are officially playoff bound.

The+Vikings+after+the+series+win+over+Placer+Hillman.+

Dene Ogle

The Vikings after the series win over Placer Hillman.

Andrew Perry, Sports Editor

In week five of league play the Vikings were set to play the Placer Hillman. This was a big week with playoff implications on the line for the Vikings, and in game two of the series it was senior day, honoring the seniors of the Vikings’ squad. With playoffs on the line, the Vikings had to win one game to be back in, but winning the series would give the Vikings a high seed in Division four. 

Game one of the series was a very tight game. The Vikings started Ayden Dringenberg who had a good outing, going four innings only giving up two runs. Hillman jumped out to a 1-0 lead, but the Vikings would come back the next inning and tie the game at one a piece. Two innings later, the Vikings would tack on another run and go up 2-1, and again Hillman would match the Vikings, tying the game 2-2. 

After Dringenberg came the Vikings’ trusty relief, Reid Harris, trying to minimize any offensive damage Hillman might bring. Harris had a great outing, getting out of a jam in the seventh inning to send it into extra innings.

Hillman would walk the game off in the eighth with a walk-off single, as the Vikings fell 3-2. 

In game two of the series, the Vikings played at home for senior day. Prior to the start of the game, there was a ceremony to honor the seniors and there was a father/son ceremonial first pitch. 

The starter for game two was Kurt Marton. The Vikings jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third inning after Marton’s scoreless work on the mound through three. Just as in game one, Hillman would score a run of their own, not going down without a fight. 

Marton would shut Hillman down for the fifth and the sixth innings. In the bottom of the sixth is where the Vikings blew this one open. 

To start the rally, Andrew Perry had a huge base hit bunt which ended up scoring a run. After that, the Vikings would score four more runs to make it 6-1. Marton would give up one more run in the seventh, but that was not enough for Hillman. The Vikings won on senior day with a score of 6-2. 

The Vikings are back in the playoffs once again.

Game three of the series was under the lights again at James Field in Auburn. The Vikings started Trevor Wilson in the deciding game of the series. This is the last regular season game, so the Vikings were looking to end on a high note with momentum for the playoffs. 

The Vikings jumped out to an early lead 2-0. Wilson would mow down Hillman for four innings, holding them scoreless. In a two-strike count in the top of the fifth, Tony Lira hit a towering home run over the scoreboard to make it 4-0. 

Wilson got into some trouble late in the game, but with bases loaded, he did not waiver – getting three straight outs to keep Hillman scoreless. Wilson would end up throwing a complete game. The Vikings win the series with a game three score of 4-0.

The Vikings have gotten the two seed in Division four, and are set to play Galt High School after a first round bye.