Week three of FVL league play

Vikings take a crucial series.

The Vikings after the 4-0 game two win against the Zebras.

Dene Ogles

Andrew Perry, Sports Editor

The Vikings entered week three of league play at 9-10 overall, and 2-4 in league. The Vikings had a tough week ahead of them, playing the Linclon Zebras who were tied for first place with the Ponderosa Bruins at 4-2. After the series loss to the Bruins, the Vikings needed to perform well and win some series while closing out the season to make the playoffs. 

Game one was played at Lincoln High School, and the Vikings started Trevor Wilson on the mound. The Zebras jumped to a quick 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first, though the Vikings would hold them scoreless in the second inning; but in the third inning, they would strike again with a two-run homer.

Reid Harris would then come into the game and shut the Zebras bats down for 2.2 innings. After Harris, Jaylen Patterson came into a crucial situation to get an out, keeping the score 4-3 to give the Vikings a chance in the top of the sixth. Patterson did just that, and got the batter out to send the game into the top of the sixth with the Vikings chasing the tying run.

Andrew Perry would then come into the game to keep the score 4-3, and again give the Vikings a chance to tie the game or take the lead in the seventh. After a lead off triple, Perry would get the next three batters out with two nice plays: one by Trevor Wilson, and a diving play by Adam Reyes. The Vikings would come up short in the seventh, losing 4-3, dropping to 9-11 overall and 2-5 in league play.

Game two would be played at Oakmont, with ace Kurt Marton on the mound for his first home start of the year in this must-win game. The Vikings would strike first in the bottom of the first inning to go up 1-0. With Marton’s stellar pitching, he would stifle the Zebras bats. 

The Vikings would tack on two runs in the fourth and one in the fifth to go up by a score of 4-0. Marton would throw a complete game, only giving up three hits and striking out 11. The Vikings would win 4-0 and improve to 10-11 on the season, and 3-5 in league. 

Game three was back at Lincoln, and the Vikings chose to start Adam Reyes in the series-deciding game. The Vikings would strike first, again scoring two in the top of the first – but the Zebras would score a run of their own, making it 2-1 going into the second inning. 

The Vikings would score one in the third inning to go up 3-1, but in the fourth, the Vikings would put up a five spot to go up 8-1. The Zebras would not fold though, as they scored two to make it 8-3. The Vikings would score three in the sixth to make it 11-3, putting the Vikings in good position to take the series win. 

In the bottom of the sixth, the Zebras would roar back and score eight to tie the game at 11. The Vikings would take a run in the seventh to go up 12-11. Ayden Drigenberg would close out the game for the Vikings’ 11th win of the season. They improved to 11-11 overall and 4-5 in league. 

The Vikings will go on to play the Nevada Union Miners in the second-to-last series of the season.