The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Oakmont girls soccer’s hard fought battles versus West Park

Varsity and JV girls soccer teams take a tough loss to local high school West Park.
Peyton Anderson
Oakmont’s girls soccer home game on Jan. 22.

Oakmont’s girls varsity and junior varsity soccer teams both played matches in opposition to the teams of local Roseville high school, West Park, on Monday, Jan. 22, taking place on Oakmont’s home field.

The JV team competed against West Park’s correspondent team at 5:00pm, where after a long battle of two 40 minute halves, the team took defeat 0-6.

“Honestly, I felt pretty good about my game today because although we lost by six points, my team was giving its all and we didn’t give up and also we stayed positive the whole time,” junior Paulina Mackie said.

Mackie and the team’s mindset aided in motivating and driving them to continue pushing themselves and fighting to perform their best against their opponents, no matter the score.

As teammates strive with a shared purpose, a sense of unity and a strong connection can develop, contributing to the feeling that competitive play is not the only aspect of participating in the sport, but that the relationships bloomed and the enjoyment that derives are also included.

“I think one of my favorite parts about playing the games with my team, especially this year, is the way that it feels like a big friend group,” Mackie said. “Like everyone is so nice and positive towards each other that it literally just feels like you’re playing for fun, it doesn’t feel like you’re just actually playing for a sport.” 

While everyone on the team has a collective goal in mind, one’s individual strategy is an integral aspect of the game when responding to opposition, as well as thinking on one’s feet and having quick reactions to what’s in front of the players, for their next move.

“I know it works different with other people, but for me, I kind of like reading other people’s positions and their body,” Mackie said. “The way [the players] position their body, where their feet are pointing and their shoulders, I can kinda tell where they’re gonna move next and then I can see if they’re gonna try to get open, so I try to get in front of them before they get the opportunity to get the ball.” 

Amidst the team’s loss, many technical accomplishments persisted. 

Multiple shots on goal by West Park players were caught during JV, including when a penalty kick was taken on Oakmont’s goal during the first half, in which players responded by lining up in attempts to block the shot, where the goalie then successfully prevented the ball’s penetration.

Adaptation is essential for players when responding to the lively and aggressive forces of the game and determining the best course of action upon analysis.

“Sometimes when [the players are] really aggressive I obviously try to push back,” Mackie said. “Sometimes whenever they push me, I kind of do some circles and then hopefully we get that penalty kick, which it has happened before.”

The varsity team also played the opposing team of West Park, taking place at 7:00pm, at which the event respectively resulted in a home loss down 0-5.

Despite the game resulting in a loss, the night marked other forms of success as the team exerted a great endeavor and application of themselves through hard work and physical efforts, as well as providing a ground for reflection on play and a space for improvement.

“I think that the team fought hard. Obviously it’s not the outcome we wanted but all we can do is practice hard and go up from here,” junior Maria Gonzales said.

Technique and strategy is a critical element of the game of soccer and is incorporated into the considerations of players when keeping their head in the game and devising an upcoming drive, form of footwork, or maneuver.

“I just always think of what to do with the ball before it comes to me. I stay aware of where my teammates are, where the opposing team is and where I am in relation to all of those things and that helps me stay heads up.” Gonzales said.

Soccer’s intense physical nature invokes a playground for assertive, dynamic action in the sport, as it is more than common for players to experience forms of aggression.

“[I] just give it back to them,” Gonzales said. “I just remember to stay calm and I play my game and if I need to, be aggressive back.” 

Participating in such sports teams can contribute to high school memories and friendships that teammates treasure, as well as allow student athletes to develop their skills and enjoy the sport they play.

“I like the community and environment,” Gonzales said. “And being surrounded by my friends and getting to learn and grow playing a game that I love.” 

Despite facing a tough struggle against West Park, goals weren’t the only thing that defined this game, as the bump in the road posed an opportunity to invoke a closer bond between teammates and identify areas for growth and improvement in future play.