The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul

The heavily anticipated fight between a boxing legend and a YouTube personality.
One of the many posters made of Mike Tyson (left) and Jake Paul (right) to promote the fight. PC: Printerval

On July 20th, a popular “YouTuber”, Jake Paul, will compete in a boxing match against Mike Tyson, otherwise known as “the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time”.

Jake Paul grew up in Ohio with his older brother Logan Paul, who is also pursuing a boxing career like his brother. Paul became very popular on the former app, “Vine”, where in September 2013, he had amassed 5.3 million followers and 2 billion views before the app was discontinued. His popularity grew even farther when he started vlogging on Youtube and created the “Team 10”, which consisted of 9 other “YouTubers” that all lived in the same house and created content together.

Paul was also on Disney Channel, playing Dirk Mann on the series Bizaardvark for two seasons. Soon after in 2018, he began his professional boxing career. So far, he is 10-1 and is searching for a much bigger challenge. He then offered to fight Tyson, in which Tyson agreed since he would be earning almost 20 million dollars to fight Paul.

Tyson grew up in Brooklyn, New York and had a rough childhood. He began boxing at just 18. Soon after he would be named the youngest heavyweight champion of all time. He won his first 19 matches in a row, and remained undefeated for 5 years. Tyson is known for his very intimidating presence in the ring, and his record currently stands at 50-6. 

People were shocked to find out that a man who started his boxing career just 6 years ago is wanting to compete against someone who not only started boxing before Paul was born, but who is named one of the greatest of all time. 

The two seemed to be on good terms regarding the match and have created content for Paul’s Tiktok and Instagram to promote the match, however Paul seems to be a little cocky during interviews regarding the fight.

“I believe I have what it takes to beat him and I know this is the toughest test of my life and it’s an honor to be in there with Mike… at the end of the day I’m going to be the one who gets my hand raised,”Paul said.

Tyson also comments to the media on how he’s scared to hurt Paul and that Paul doesn’t seem to know what he’s getting himself into. 

“This guy is gonna come, he’s gonna try to hurt me, which I’m accustomed to, and he’s gonna be greatly mistaken,” Tyson said.

The match is set to be on July 20, at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The event will be streamed globally on Netflix, in which millions will be watching how this unusual matchup will go down.