The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A new edition to the “Monday Night Countdown”

Recently retired Eagles legend Jason Kelce joins ESPN.
Eagles vs. Commanders, FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, September 25, 2022. PC: Wikimedia Commons

Jason Kelce, a center for the Philadelphia Eagles, who retired after a long 13-year career, is set to join ESPN ahead of the start of the next NFL season.

Kelce is not unfamiliar with the broadcasting scene, as he attended last year’s NFL Broadcasting and Media Workshop, which used to be known as the Broadcast Bootcamp.

“This is all new territory for me,” Kelce said. “I have even more respect for it now. It’s very hard to do something live, reactive of stimulus that just happened and having something clever and meaningful to say.”

Kelce will continue his podcast “New Heights” with his younger brother and Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce. During the 2023/2024 NFL season, the podcast gathered 54 million views across 28 episodes, according to Zoomph.

Though ESPN has not formally announced the deal, Kelce’s signing comes two months after his emotional retirement speech. Kelce spoke for 42 minutes, reading from a scripted speech off his cell phone, a speech made longer by dozens of emotional outbursts from the moment he was seated at a table on an auditorium stage inside the team’s training facility.

Kelce has had an illustrious career and without question will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Over his career Kelce earned six First Team All-Pro nominations, was called to the Pro Bowl seven times, and played in two Super Bowls, winning one in 2018 against the New England Patriots.