The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet DLC

An overview of the new Pokémon DLC.
Logos of both Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. PC: Trusted Reviews

On Sept. 12, the first half of the Generation Nine Pokémon games were released for the Nintendo Switch systems as an add-on for the base games of Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet.

The first half of the downloadable content (DLC) is known as “The Teal Mask,” and takes place in the land of Kitakami. The location is based on the Tohoku region of Japan. It is theorized that Kitakami is placed somewhere between the lands of Johto and Sinnoh, which are based on Hokkaido, with the islands of Kansai and Tohoku between them. 

Throughout the DLC, the player travels throughout the extensive region, researching the rich culture of Kitakami, and the folk tale the region is known for. Along the way, you’ll meet new faces alongside returning Pokémon.

The DLC has a total of 200 Pokémon, along with newly revealed ones as well. For example, a new evolution for the Pokémon Applin which was released in Generation Eight was released in this DLC, known as Dipplin; where Applin takes the design of a worm in an apple, Dipplin takes the design one step further and resembles a candied apple after evolution. It also coincides with Dipplin’s ability “Supersweet Syrup,” which lowers the evasiveness of the opposing Pokémon when first entering the battle, and its signature move “Syrup Bomb” which lowers the opposing Pokémon’s speed. 

Aside from new evolutions, there were four new legendary Pokémon released. In the game they’re known as the Loyal Three, consisting of Munkidori, Okidogi, and Fezandipiti, and the Fearsome Ogre Ogerpon. The Loyal Three all have the unique ability of “Toxic Chain,” which may cause the opposing Pokémon they attack to become badly poisoned, which coincides with their zombie-like resurrection in the game. Ogerpon gains the unique ability “Embody Aspect,” which varies in effect depending on what mask Ogerpon wears when Terastilized. Ogerpon doesn’t Terastilize like other Pokémon due to their gimmick with the masks. Depending on what mask Ogerpon is wearing, their type will change to match, and a certain stat will increase along with it. It also changes the typing of Ogerpon’s signature move “Ivy Cudgel” and has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit.

In terms of side missions, you can take a detour and rendezvous with a photographer named Perrin to find an alternate form of a Pokémon known as Ursaluna called the ‘Bloodmoon Beast,’ or you can spend some time playing the new minigame known as Ogre Oustin, where you pop balloons to achieve berries and earn points. Make sure to keep watch over your berry baskets for wild Pokémon who want to eat your berries!

The second half of the DLC, known as the “Indigo Disk,” is planned to release during winter later this year, which slots it in the timeframe between December and March of next year.

DLC Second Half

With the second half of the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet DLC coming out Dec. 14, the Pokémon Company has dropped some new information which requires a recap of where the DLC left off in the first half and what will be new in the upcoming release.

To give a brief recap of what happened in the first half of the DLC: it was set in the distant land of Kitakami, set somewhere in between the regions of Johto and Sinnoh. The story for the DLC ended on a cliffhanger, with one of the characters – Kieran – preparing to become one of the antagonists in the next part of the DLC.

The second half shall take place just off the distant coast of the Unova region, which is based off the US. It will take place in a school called Blueberry Academy, a sister school to the trainer academy in the base game: Uva Academy for Violet and Naranja Academy for Scarlet. Blueberry Academy gets to exist on the ocean because of the innovative “Terarium” that it houses, which contains a plethora of old and new Pokémon.

One of the new Pokémon that will be showing up is a new evolution for a Pokémon that debuted in the previous generation named Duraludon. The new evolution for it will be named Archaludon, and instead of being designed like a skyscraper like its pre-evolution, it’s designed to be more similar to large drawbridges like the Golden Gate bridge. Aside from the new evolutions and returning Pokémon, there will be something of equally significant importance when the Indigo Disk releases. 

For the first time since seven years ago in Generation Seven, all of the starter Pokémon from every generation will be available to catch. The reason why this is so important is because since the release of Generation Eight, there were Pokémon that were cut from the Pokédex available for those games, meaning that you could not have them in those games. That means that catching certain Pokémon would become impossible unless you had a specific copy that could offer them. Some Pokémon hadn’t even seen the light of day on the Switch, such as the generation two, five and six starters.

Not to mention, there will also be more Paradox Pokémon that will debut in the second half of the DLC. The one for Pokémon Scarlet is known as Raging Bolt, taking the resemblance of Raikou from Generation Two and stretching it out to resemble a brontosaurus. Meanwhile, the one for Pokémon Violet will be known as Iron Crown, and it will look like a robotic version of Coballion from Generation Five.

There will also be a new mode in the DLC which will allow you to synchronize with one of your Pokémon and move around, battle and play with them. From what’s been revealed, it will be unlocked via assisting one of the NPCs in the Terarium. The upcoming content is being held in high regard by a lot of fans.