The NFL’s 2019 Pro Bowl in review

Starting AFC Pro Bowl quarterback Patrick Mahomes in 2017 (photo by Jeffrey Beall)

Stephen Morettini, Staff Writer

Every year before the Super Bowl, the best players from the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC) face off in the Pro Bowl. This year’s Pro Bowl was no different with star-studded rosters of seasoned veterans and young prospects in their rookie and sophomore seasons being showcased. Many of the young players, in particular, had great performances.

Only in his second season, sophomore Patrick Mahomes made his Pro Bowl debut, throwing for 366 yards and one touchdown. On top of a stellar performance at the Pro Bowl, Mahomes almost led his team to the Super Bowl in his first season of starting all of the games for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Another good performance came from another sophomore, San Francisco 49er, George Kittle, who during the season, set the NFL record for most receiving yards in a season as a Tight End. During the Pro Bowl, he had five catches for  39 receiving yards, averaging 7.8 yards per catch.

In the second quarter of the game, Pittsburgh Steelers star wide-receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster suffered what at first appeared to be a serious knee injury. It was reported after the game that JuJu was “fine” and had avoided a major injury.

The action did not stop after the final whistle was blown. While presenting the trophy to the AFC team, former Dallas Cowboy and current color commentator, Jason Witten broke the top off of the top of the winner’s trophy. Let’s hope it was an easy fix.