The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A wrap of this year’s “Santa’s Helpers”

Oakmont students volunteer at FC Joyce Elementary School.
Santa’s Helpers 2023 at FC Joyce Elementary School. PC: Alisi Tuatonga and Paulina Mackie

Going back for its 16 year tradition, “Santa’s Helpers,” a group of students at Oakmont High School, returned to FC Joyce Elementary School, bringing quintessential holiday spirit to the school’s children.

With the day-long program revolving around the epitome of Christmas fun, students at the elementary school spent the day doing holiday activities, getting surprise visits from Santa, and receiving personal presents from the Santa’s Helpers participants. 

Oakmont students arrived at the school in all sorts of Christmas attire, rekindling the childhood spirit the holiday brings. The kids were especially excited to see Santa (Gabe Ansbro), and Buddy the Elf (George Buljan) walking around campus, popping in and out of classrooms. 

Aside from all the games and presents, the elementary school kids were genuinely happy to relax for the school day, taking their minds off day-to-day agenda. 

Their high spirits and pure joy throughout the day touched the hearts of those around them, making the day memorable for everyone at the school. 

Sara Segoviano, one of the volunteers, was personally impacted by the event, expressing how the happy young students opened her perspective on how she views children overall. 

“Before I kind of used to hate children, and I thought they’d be more snotty and rude,” Segoviano said. “But they were actually so cute and nice, and I actually kind of like kids now.”

For Oakmont’s students, the program is more than just getting out of school with friends, or having the school day off; it’s a day to give back to the community, especially during this time in which some people don’t have the luxuries of Christmas. 

While sophomore Emil Madden enjoyed the day off with his friends, Madden was grateful for the opportunity to give back to those who aren’t as fortunate, which stands as something important to him.

“My favorite part of Santa’s Helpers was being able to spend time with my friends and having a chance to get away from school, while still being able to do something nice during Christmas time,” Madden said. “Many are less fortunate than we are and we have to give back when we can.”

Santa’s Helpers ultimately invited the giving spirit, and successfully highlighted the true grace of Christmas, making its season better overall. 

Being a true staple of Oakmont’s December activities, it’s always heartwarming to see Santa’s Helpers every year.