The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

4 years, 4 schedules

The scoop on school days since the coronavirus.
A review of all the bell schedules of Oakmont high school from 2020-2024. PC: Pexels

Online-only schedule 2020-2021: 

The freshman year schedule was for distance learning and had students on Zoom for their classes. They would have Zoom links for each class that they had. These days were much shorter than most of the schedules, as intervention was optional. Since this schedule meant students could wake up later and remain in their pajamas, many liked Zoom.  There were no restrictions on restroom use and students could work at their own speed, spending most of their days how they liked. The schedule was simple and consistent. Although many liked the online-only schedule, it proved a difficult time for teachers and was socially isolating for a majority of high schoolers. Additionally, issues arose with strangers joining Zoom calls unannounced, students refusing to participate, and an excess of sleeping and phone use during class. Later in the school year, the hybrid schedule was also introduced, allowing students to spend some days in-person and some on Zoom. While this helped with some social and academic issues, it made teaching even more complicated.

In-person schedule 2021-2022: 

This schedule happened once everyone was required to come back to school physically. Students had to arrive by 7:45 AM and school ended at 2:20 PM. Everyone who stepped on campus was required to wear a mask for most of the year, but these requirements eased up toward the end of year. Intervention was mandatory and happened before 2nd period, which students used to complete work for their upcoming classes. The schedule was simple to follow and had the split lunch schedule signature to Oakmont. While students disliked how early it started, school also ended earlier, allowing time after school for personal activities. Many found that this schedule allowed them to experience high school far better than the online schedule, but others were frustrated with the school district for prioritizing in-person school over some families’ health or preferences. 

2022-2023 schedule:

After  COVID-19 cases calmed down in California, Oakmont adopted a new schedule to abide by recent laws mandating school start after 8:00 AM.  School began at 8:30 AM and ended at 3:20 PM. Many students were opposed to this change, especially those who were in a sport, as they had less time after school to do extracurriculars, homework, and personal activities. In this same schedule, Wednesdays began at 9:30 AM to accommodate teachers, allowing them to have their meetings early in the day instead of after school on Mondays, which was customary.. Students continue to benefit  from this late start as well, getting a little extra sleep or finishing homework from the night before.. This schedule moved intervention to after lunch but kept the same split lunch schedule. This schedule was the Class of 2024’s first normal system since 8th grade. However, really only experiencing high school starting junior year greatly influenced the on-campus experience.

2024 schedule:

This year, the schedule remained relatively normal. Intervention was changed to a different time each day of the week to keep students safer and more accountable. This change was difficult for many, as it was a new adjustment every day and the previous schedule had worked well, and while it’s still inconvenient in certain circumstances, it’s become more accepted as the year has gone on. This schedule change, alongside other district-wide and Oakmont-specific decisions have caused upset throughout the student body, but after the coronavirus, a new schedule every year, and novel technology changing the face of education, the general normalcy of 2024 has come as a relief to Oakmont’s seniors.