The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

King Charles diagnosed with cancer

Cancer found during one of the King’s medical examinations.
King Charles on his 75th birthday in Nov. 2023.

PC: SAMIR HUSSEIN/WIREIMAGE
King Charles on his 75th birthday in Nov. 2023. PC: SAMIR HUSSEIN/WIREIMAGE

King Charles III began his rule of England after the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth, who ruled as queen for just under 70 years, making her the longest reigning monarch in British history. Additionally, this makes King Charles III the longest serving heir apparent in British history. as well.  

King Charles has been diagnosed with cancer, according to officials at Buckingham Palace. King Charles’ exact diagnosis has yet to be revealed, as the King’s doctors discovered the cancer during a recent prostate examination.

The King has already begun treatments and has now postponed public duties until he no longer needs treatment. No further details on the King’s diagnosis have been released by the Palace. Though King Charles “remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible,” the Palace adds.

We know that Charles has shared the news to both of his sons, with his son Prince William being in regular contact with the King. Prince Harry, who left the Royal Family and moved to the United States, is also coming to visit his father in the coming days.

Though the King is not appearing in public, he is not abdicating all of his duties. Charles will remain attending private meetings, doing paperwork, and continue his duty as head of state. 

The King’s sudden diagnoses can be worrying for some of the monarchy’s citizens, though there is a constitutional rule in place that if the head of state is unable to perform his or her duties, “councellors of state” can be appointed to fulfill those duties. 

​Prime Minister of England, Rishi Sunak, wished the King a “full and speedy recovery,” as did Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

U.S. President Joe Biden expressed his concern and said he would speak to the King.