The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Protests spread like wildfire across college campuses

Pro-Palestinian demonstrations rock major American universities.
Pro-Palestinian protest outside of the White House, Washington D.C.

PC: Wikipedia
Pro-Palestinian protest outside of the White House, Washington D.C. PC: Wikipedia

Pro-Palestinian demonstrations began a week ago at Columbia University, causing the school to switch to hybrid classes for the remainder of the semester. Hybrid learning is classes in-person, as well as attending classes online. 

Many Jewish students are scared to be on campus and fear for their safety, especially since Passover, a major Jewish holiday, starts April 22 and ends April 30.

Columbia’s President Minouche Shafik is facing scrutiny by students as well as staff for calling police to clear out a Pro-Palestinian camp. Many are calling for his resignation. 

Similar demonstrations are happening at Yale, where 45 students were arrested on trespass charges after refusing to leave the college’s campus after protests. 

California State Polytechnic University, Humboldt has also closed campus this week in regards to the safety of their students. This has caused protesters to lock themselves in a building on campus.

More than 130 people have been arrested at New York University after a clash between NYPD and protesters on the campus. NYPD was called after there were anti-semetic chants and threats against Jewish students. Though arrests were made, an NYPD official said “- the demonstrations weren’t violent overall, except for a few bottles thrown at police officers.” 

In November, a month after the start of the Israel-Hamas war, NYPD reported a 214% increase in anti-semetic hate crimes in New York according to The Hill. 

The Secretary of U.S. Education Miguel Cardona expressed his concern over the Columbia protests. “Antisemitic hate on college campuses is unacceptable,” Cardona said. “While we can’t comment on pending investigations, every student deserves to feel a sense of safety and belonging at school. Hate has no place at our schools.”