A lifetime of soccer

The high school career of a student athlete.

Courtesy of Maggie Danielson

Maggie Danielson (left) poses with her older sister Reagan Danielson (right).

Aurora Shriver, Staff Writer

Junior Maggie Danielson started soccer at the young age of five because her sister Reagan played it. 

“My sister definitely inspired me the most when it comes to soccer,” Danielson said. “I wouldn’t have started if it wasn’t for watching her be so committed.”

Danielson reminisces on her younger years of soccer and on her team called the Jelly Beans. She spoke about how she would lay in the grass, picking flowers, as she was in the goalie box.

“My favorite coaches would be [Oakmont teachers Kelly] Bohren [and Stephanie] Paulsen, and Coach Pete because they really helped grow through soccer at Oakmont and gave me a new approach,” Danielson said. 

Even after injuries and competition, she still continues to play strong. She thanks her coaches, and teammates for all they have done.

“I had an ankle deltoid ligament tear which hurt more every time I played, and continued to roll,” Danielson said. “I eventually had surgery to fix it.” 

Danielson continues to wear a brace for safety measures, but has been feeling and playing better post-surgery. 

“I love playing high school soccer, it’s super fun,” Danielson said. “I love my coaches and my teammates. It has made my high school career even better.”

Danielson really enjoys soccer because everyday she gets to see her teammates at school and at soccer. She finds it easy to connect with them as they spend so much time together. 

“In the future, I think i’m just going to continue through high school soccer, ” Danielson said.

Danielson doesn’t plan on making soccer into a career after high school, but she has definitely wondered where soccer could take her.