Slam dunk

Derek Lamb is the only freshman on the varsity boys basketball team

Freshman Derek Lamb is on the Oakmont varsity basketball team. This is the first time a freshman has been on the varsity basketball team since varsity basketball coach John Hunter became the coach.

“It’s pretty special,” Lamb said. “I enjoy basketball a lot, and it’s a great opportunity.”

Not only is he the sole freshman on the team, but he is also the tallest, standing at six feet, five inches tall.

“It’s interesting being on the team because I [literally] look down on all the upperclassmen, and they seem to really like me because of the dunks I can throw,” Lamb said.

Lamb is also dealing with handling the responsibilities that come with high school and being a student-athlete.

“It’s been different,” Lamb said. “There’s a lot more to do in high school than there was in middle school.” 

A freshman on the varsity basketball team has been an adjustment for not only the team, but for the varsity basketball coach as well.

“We’ve only been together a couple weeks, but so far, he does a great job,” Hunter said. “He’s a great player, and he’s a smart young man. The older guys have accepted him as a person and as a colleague.”

Make sure to come support the basketball team December 17th vs Bella Vista at 7.