California DUI proposals will make anyone think twice about drinking and driving

Ciaran Henderson

More stories from Ciaran Henderson

Christmas without cash
November 28, 2018
See You at the Pole 2018
September 26, 2018
In+the+next+week+California%27s+legislature+will+vote+on+the+reformative+bills.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

In the next week California's legislature will vote on the reformative bills.

Sylvia Rof // Wikimedia

Sylvia Rof // Wikimedia

Sylvia Rof // Wikimedia

California bills regarding drinking and driving could change everything for drunk drivers.

California legislature has introduced two controversial bills in order to combat rising drinking and driving convictions and collisions. If passed, it will make California one of the toughest states on the issue.

“People are going to possibly see an increase in arrests, hopefully there will be less fatalities too.” Resource Officer Carlos Cortes said. “I’m hoping the [bills] are going to deter people from drinking and driving,”

Senate bill SB-545 revisits a previous bill that passed on January 1, 2019 that requires people convicted with driving under the influence or others who caused injury while under the influence to install and maintain an ignition interlock device (IID). The devices are mini-breathalyzer tests that prevent a person from starting their car if they do not have a 0.00 blood alcohol level. The bill would make first time and repeated offenders have to install and pay for the IID which can cost up to $150. They would have to maintain it for up to 48 months.

The other bill, AB-1713 will completely change the blood alcohol level which is deemed illegal. Like most states, California’s BAC limit regarding legality is 0.08 percent; however, if this bill passes, it will be lowered to 0.05. This would make for women under 160 pounds to only be able to drink one to two drinks per hour, and no more than two drinks for men under 200 pounds per hour as well.

“This will be improving safety on the road overall, and should teach teens to just not drink or drive.” senior Jennifer Cheveres said.

Read both the bills text here:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB1713

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB545

About the Writer
Ciaran Henderson, Staff Writer & Designer

Ciaran Henderson is a sophomore and a second year staff writer as well as a first year designer, and manager of the website for Norse Notes. In his free...