The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Women’s History Month 2024

Celebrating the excellence of women and what they bring to this world.
Women are encouraged to empower one another during this month.

PC: Creative Commons
Women are encouraged to empower one another during this month. PC: Creative Commons

The start of March welcomes the initiation of Women’s History Month, recognizing the achievements and contributions of women around the world. 

Every year, a women’s organization presents an annual theme for this month, with this year’s theme being “Invest in Women: Accelerate Progress,” announced by UN Women. 

The organization depicts the theme as important for recognizing women who work to “ensur[e] women’s and girls’ rights across all aspects of life” to create a healthy planet with “prosperous and just economies.” 

Oakmont’s Women in STEM Club celebrates this month by planning to invite guest speakers involved in STEM, in efforts to empower future Oakmont students who might be interested in entering the STEM field as women.

Furthermore, the club plans to participate in various community outreach programs that aim to inspire women leadership, specifically in STEM.

The Women in STEM club leader, Lilian Tovar, openly shares how the club currently explores the meaning of Women’s History Month, while sharing a particular  figure who inspires her to this day.

“There’s one who’s inspired me for a long time, and continues to do so today,” Tovar said. “Claudia Ramirez Lomeli is a Mexican author and content creator who advocates for – as cliché as it may sound – believing in yourself and the power of words.”

W0men’s History Month is a time to both acknowledge and admire women’s past and present contributions throughout history. It’s not about who has the most achievements or awards, but rather about empowering one another to continue making a difference in society today. 

Moreover, Tovar adds onto the meaning of the month, conveying it’s also a period to reflect upon the discriminative challenges women have endured and continue to endure today. 

“One important aspect of the history of this month is its roots in the feminist movement and the tireless efforts of activists to recognize and amplify the contributions of women in society,” Tovar said. “Women’s History Month is… also about acknowledging the systemic barriers and inequalities that women have faced throughout history.”

Overall, Women’s History Month is essential for both recognition and for forward-moving gender progress in society today.

Happy Women’s History Month!