Construction on the culinary room

Ella Pock, Staff Writer

At the end of last school year, construction began in the 500 hall. The culinary wing is currently the largest construction project at Oakmont. It is expected to be finished and ready for use in October.

“Our culinary classroom was dated and in need of many repairs,” culinary teacher Mrs. Ehrig said. “The remodel provides the opportunity to build an updated kitchen that aligns with industry standards and curriculum standards.”

The new room will give students the ability to experience working in a kitchen that resembles what they would see if they were to get a job in the industry.

Next thing you know we will have a beautiful culinary room that everybody can share and use to have a good experience”

— Mr. Ochoa

“Next thing you know we will have a beautiful culinary room that everybody can share and use to have a good experience,” vice principal Mr. Ochoa said.

The new rooms plan to be larger in order to have more space available for student use. It is planned to have new appliances that will allow the culinary students to have a more functional experience.

“[It will have] all the latest and greatest gadgets to have a nice kitchen,” Mr. Ochoa said.

McCuen Construction, Inc. has been working all summer and the project has been a long time coming, as the culinary students are ready to see the new room and use all of the new equipment. With the new upgrade comes sacrifices, especially dealing with the noise and fences from the construction site. However, it will all be worth it in the end when the new room is done.

“Hopefully it will have more modern equipment and have more kitchen [stations] overall,” senior Kayla Strever said. “This will make for a better learning experience for students overall.”