The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Universal Technical Institute visits Oakmont

Visiting campus to grow the next generation of the automotive industry.
Mel Gutierrez showcasing the Toyota Supra at Oakmont High School.
Peyton Anderson

Universal Technical Institute (UTI) visited Oakmont High School on Oct. 10. They showcased what they have to offer in their programs. 

They had brought out a car their students built, a 2001 Toyota Supra, and had many other demonstrations as well. UTI put on quite the show during their time here at Oakmont.

What is the Universal Technical Institute?

UTI was originally based out of Arizona in 1965, being a trade school that offers many programs, including automotive repair and engineering, combustion engine service, robotics, HVAC, welding, and many more. 

Their programs are made to help lead students into the blue collar industry with programs that average between 17-18 months. 

Universal Technical Institute holds 16 campuses across the United States, some with different focus programs. For example, most UTI campuses offer automotive and diesel programs, while some campuses are strictly focused on specific vehicles and engine types or configurations. 

What did UTI have to say?

UTI is training students to work in a promising career field that is always in demand.

“We need 73 million tech annually,” UTI Field Admissions Representative Mel Gutierrez said. 

UTI’s programs are promised to employ students to lifelong career paths. 

“Our average attendees are between 17 and 20 years old,” Gutierrez said. “We also have many veteran students.” 

UTI has a goal to create new opportunities in people’s lives, aiming to employ people in a promising career that continues to grow daily. 

What did the students think?

The students at Oakmont seemed very interested in the presentation that UTI gave. Many students checked their website via QR-code, even getting lanyards from UTI. 

Overall, the presentations given were very loud, eye-catching, and informative, resulting in many students showing aspirations and interest for them.