The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Oakmont’s 2023 Club Rush

A little insight on some of the many clubs available at Oakmont.
Interact Service Club’s setup for all to see and sign up for at Club Rush.

PC: Peyton Anderson
Interact Service Club’s setup for all to see and sign up for at Club Rush. PC: Peyton Anderson

School has been in session for a few months now, and Oakmont’s clubs have joined in on the action, starting back up for the new year. 

This year’s Club Rush was held on Aug. 30 during one lunch, allowing both new and old clubs to promote and have people sign up. 

A new club that formed this year was Poker & Philosophy club, with Emma Fischel being the club’s president.

Emma Fischel had chosen not to speak about the club but her brother, Caleb Fischel, has spoken on what had inspired the creation of Poker & Philosophy club. 

“My family and I have always had a love for arguing and poker,” Caleb Fischel said. “We realized [our older] brother’s going away for college this year and four people isn’t enough… to play poker.” 

Their hopes for the future of the club are to have as many people as possible join, creating a fun and welcoming environment for those interested. 

Along with new clubs created, older clubs had set up for another year, continuing their legacies. 

“[Mock Trial has] probably [been around for] 15-17 years,” Charlotte Leddy, senior and co-president of the club said. 

Mock Trial allows students the chance to simulate what it would be like to be in a real court case. They prep  direct/cross examinations, witness statements, and leads to present them as if it were a real legal case. 

Another club that is back up and running is the Sustainability Club, which has been active since 2020. 

“Our board is almost completely new so there will be board changes,” senior and social media manager of the club, Viktoriya Rotaru said. “[It would] also influence how the club is run but the main idea… of the club will stay the same.”

The main idea for the club focuses on climate crises and the conservation of the community’s environment. 

“I hope that we can get people to join and get connected,” Rotaru said. “I hope a lot more volunteering can happen here and other places to make the world a better place.” 

With this semester’s club rush being such an overall success, Oakmont looks forward to future club rushes. 

Their clubs can be found on Instagram at @ohs.mocktrial and @ohssustainabilityclub, with more info being found at Oakmont Clubs.