The Student News Site of Oakmont High School

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Norse Notes

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Livin’ to 30 years, man

Looking back at the 1993 cult film, “Dazed and Confused.”
Flickr
A small portion of the “Dazed and Confused” ensemble leaning against the Emporium pool hall.

Alright, alright, alright! The time has come to acknowledge the brilliance and impact of “Dazed and Confused” in retrospect of 30 years. The film takes the audience of the ‘90s and beyond on a slow ride into the life of small town teens in 1976. 

It’s the last day of school for the class of ‘77. Portrayed by forthcoming A and B-list actors,“Dazed and Confused” not only provides the nostalgia of the iconic era but gives way to breakout roles of many of the cast members such as Matthew McConaughey, Parker Posey, Ben Affleck, Adam Goldberg, and Milla Jovovich. 

The iconic title sequence opens with Aerosmith’s hit “Sweet Emotion.” At the forefront, an orange 1970 Pontiac GTO is seen rolling into the Lee High School lot and the title “Dazed and Confused” emerges in a white, retro font. Honing in on the overlapping social cliques, the scene unfolds into the halls, quad, and back alleys of the high school, showcasing the activities of the teens on their last day of school. 

The film is vibrant with colors: colorful language, slang, mannerisms, and activities stereotypical to the time, which accommodates the characters’ free-spirited nature, crude humor, and juvenile behavior.

“Dazed and Confused” takes the viewers into all of the essential hang out spots for the teenagers whether it’s a party at the Moon Tower, the Emporium pool hall, the Top Notch burger drive-in, someone’s house, or even driving around town. 

To commemorate the setting, the film score “Dazed and Confused” provides the audience with an encapsulation of the 1970s, featuring artists such as Black Sabbath, ZZ Top, War, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Alice Cooper. Part two of the soundtrack gives “Even More Dazed and Confused” with additional songs from the same and similar artists. Overall, the “Dazed and Confused” soundtrack adds to the atmosphere of the film, encapsulating the pivotal sound of the ‘70s.  

On the surface, “Dazed and Confused” seems to look like a high school film project, but really, the movie stands as a love letter to a time that was rich in fashion, music, film, and vernacular. Exemplifying an era where hanging out with friends and getting Aerosmith tickets were the most important thing, the film remains an ode to an iconic and timeless era.