Farewell, portables

Oakmont’s portable classrooms near the campus pool are shutting down as of next school year.

Portable+classrooms+have+run+their+time+because+of+maintenance+costs.+

Alisi Tuatonga

Portable classrooms have run their time because of maintenance costs.

Alisi Tuatonga, Features Editor

On March 23, Roseville Joint Union High School District held a board meeting that granted approval of removing Oakmont’s portable classrooms P-12, P-13, and P-17 through P-20 next school year. 

As argued by the business services of the district Board, the portable classrooms were constructed around 23-31 years ago, and the maintenance to keep them running was no longer worth their overall value. 

“These portables are in poor condition and are nearing the point they should no longer be used for classrooms,” the board said. “The cost to repair appears to exceed the value of the structures.”

According to Oakmont’s administrative staff, the classes that were in those portables will be “absorbed into the main campus buildings,” which eliminated the concerning possibility of them being removed from school curriculum altogether. 

Until further information is released, it’s inferred that the Board is still deciding what to do with the new space once the portables are taken down.

While it makes logical sense for the portables to be taken down, many teachers that have taught in them for years will have a hard time saying goodbye. 

Juliana Carlson, one of the Spanish teachers who has been teaching in the portables for eight years, feels almost attached to them, as they have held countless memories throughout her teaching career. 

While Carlson recognizes the issues associated with the portables, she will always resonate with them as her “second home.”

An example of how personalized each portable classroom really is.
PC: Alisi Tuatonga

“It is bittersweet, because I have spent so much time in this room, including weekends and summer days,” Carlson said. “It becomes your second home and it feels safe in here.”

Similar to Carlson, Mark Plank has been teaching in the portables for 19 years, and has spent a significant amount of his life in his portable classroom. 

Having his own fair share of moments that made his math classes enjoyable, Mr. Plank can only describe the portables that were home to these times with a single word:

“Wonderful.” 

“It is really all I know, as I have spent my entire 19 years teaching in this room,” Plank said. 

While this Board decision was reasonable and at most beneficial in terms of budgeting, it will definitely be weird seeing the open space aside the campus pool next year.

Oakmont High School has also been notorious for its outdated campus, so this decision might be one of the first of future remodeling or construction projects at the school.

Nonetheless, the destruction of the portables is news that will change Oakmont’s campus altogether next school year. 

“Like everything else good in life, it must come to an end,” Carlson said.