French strikes and protests

France’s most recent set of protests over pension age increase.

Jeanne Menjoulet

Protestors of all races, ages, and lifestyles coming together in France to protest the pension reform.

Lily Harrison, News Editor

Within the past week, the country of France has been faced with numerous protests and strikes due to the increased retirement age that has gone through parliament without a vote. 

France, which is well known for their array of protests and revolutions, has had a recent fight that has caused chaos throughout the entire country. 12 out of 14 of their metro lines were out of order, as well as 400 highschools being blockaded by students on strike.

During this time, 20% of the country is on strike and around 240 protests were planned throughout the last week. A poll taken found that 65% of the country believed French President, Emmanuel Macron, to be an overall terrible president while only 30% of the country came to his defense.

Citizens found Macron’s choice to increase the pension age from 62 to 64, was one that was arrogant due to his lack of convictions. Macron argued back that his only error in this situation was not getting more people on board. Macron  went on to compare the recent French protests to the American January 6th attempted coup-de-atet on the capitol. 

Although many feel as this is a wild overstatement of the current situation, videos and photos have circulated the media of the French protestors throwing trash all over the streets and lighting things on fire in hopes to make a change. Although many who protested pointed out that the damage was never on any institutions of state, Macron still stands by this statement.

The increase in retirement age would jump from age 62 to 64, angering many due to the lack of representation among the wants and needs of the people. Along with this, such a jump would cause significantly increased negative effects for the women of France, who were promised improvements with such changes that would never come. 

Not only this, but as strikes continue, major oil-refineries were left with little to no workers due to blockades held around them. A spokesperson said that the government was renewing its requisition order to ensure workers going back to the refineries. 

As well as this, 30% of French flights were severely impacted as protestors also blockaded airports. A paramount example of this was the 70 protestors who blocked terminal one at the Charles De Gaulles airport.

Even with the wildfire of protests spreading through the media, President Macron refused to back down and said “It’s in the greater interest of the country. Between opinion polls and the national interest, I chose the national interest.”