New scary movies premiering this Halloween season

Taking a look at the upcoming scary movies for fall 2022.

Vulture.com

Photo from highly anticipated new movie, Hocus Pocus 2, coming out Sept. 30.

Leah Maupin, Staff Writer

Everybody loves a good scary movie to kick off the start of the Halloween season.

Scary movies are the third-most popular movie genre out there- with 71% of Americans under the age of 35 watching them, and 55% watching during Halloween. With that, scary movie watchers are given an outpouring of new movies to watch every year, just in time for the Halloween season. These are 4 of this year’s must-watch scary movies coming to you this fall.

Since starting back in 1978, and lasting 11 different sequels, “Halloween Ends” has definitely earned the top spot for most anticipated scary movie of the year. Coming to theaters on Oct. 14, this sequel-trilogy has come to a close, with “Halloween Ends” being its last addition to the “Halloween” franchise. In this film, the final battle between Laurie Strode and Micheal Meyers occurs, taking place four years after the previous film. The “Halloween” franchise has grossed over $773 million at the box office worldwide, and is definitely a scary movie “classic”.

“My Best Friend’s Exorcism” is based on Grady Hendicks novel of the same name, and is set during the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. It follows two high school best friends whose relationship is tested when one is possessed by a demon. The horror-comedy is produced by Christopher Landon, who also produced another famous scary movie, “Happy Death Day”, and is coming to Amazon Prime on Sept. 30. The movie’s description “Beaches meets The Exorcism” is enough to get the audience intrigued and a spot on the most anticipated scary movie list.

Another scary movie franchise that’s rebooting this year alongside “Halloween” is the 1993 classic, “Hocus Pocus”This fan favorite is about three 17th-century witches resurrected by your average teenage boy on Halloween night. Now, “Hocus Pocus 2” is about three young women accidentally bringing back the witches, and trying to stop them from wreaking havoc among modern-day Salem once again. The original “Hocus Pocus” was released 29 years ago, and since then fans have been eagerly waiting for the sequel, but it’s finally here and coming to Disney+ on Sept. 30.

Finally, we have, “Smile,” which begins after witnessing a traumatizing experience from a patient. Doctor Rose Cotter starts experiencing frightening occurrences that she can’t explain. After having multiple frightening episodes, she has to come to terms with her troubling past to escape her new horrifying reality. This movie has caught the eye of many horror fans with its terrifying jump scare in the trailer. With the trailer already giving us one of the best jumpscares this year, fans are anxious for the movie’s arrival to theaters Sept. 30.

These were just some of the many new scary movies coming out this year for those scary movie lovers, and even if you aren’t a big scary movie watcher, you should still definitely check these out.