Back and Better

First country country meet in a year goes extremely well during these conditions

Courtesy of Mia Hirsch

Varsity Girls running in their first meet since last season.

Isabella Hurley, Staff Writer

After almost an entire year of no sports for Oakmont, the cross country team was able to start up again and had their first meet on February 13. 

“The team has been working so hard each and every day to improve ourselves just for the short amount of meets we have,” junior Psalm Catanglan said. “There’s a lot more pressure to win” 

It seemed to go very well for Oakmont; varsity girls took 2nd place overall, trailing first place by only 3 points while varsity boys took 5th overall, and the frosh/soph girls finished first overall.

“We’ve been racing the same people and at the same place so we get used to the course and how hard the hills are,” Catanglan said. 

The runners were able to persevere through the difficult course and place fairly well despite the new changes that were made because of COVID-19. 

“Last season was much more eventful because we had way more people, more meets, and more activities,” junior Mia Hirsch said. “We were even able to go to San Francisco for a meet which was really fun.” 

The cross country team joins many other high school teams in excitement as sports get back to practicing and competing. Many hope this trend continues and they start to see more sports getting to play.

“I really took for granted the meets last year and I can’t wait to see what next year has in store for us,” Catanglan said.