Off to College

Another Oakmont student on his way to college, Nick Forry.

Courtesy of Nick Forry

Senior Nick Forry hopes that he will be able to get a scholarship for his soccer skills.

Aurora Shriver, Staff Writer

Nick Forry is a senior here at Oakmont. Forry has invited many colleges to come to his games in hopes of getting a soccer scholarship. He is looking for a $2,000 scholarship in trade for his soccer.  

“My grandparents let me play soccer at such a young age of four,” Forry said. “It really set my development up and taught me how to dedicate myself to something.”

As a freshman, Forry played soccer, and has continued to play in hopes that his accomplishments in soccer could get him a scholarship. He has played on the varsity team for the past two years. Soccer is a big part of his life, and something he really enjoys. 

“Soccer as a sport is important to me because my mother used to play it, and just as a sport I have fallen in love with it over the past 13 years,” Forry said.

As time goes on, Forry plans on going to college. He wants to study in the field of criminology to be a detective or work in the FBI. As a backup plan, if he does not get a scholarship for soccer or get accepted into the colleges he already applied to, Forry plans on going to a community college, then transferring to a four year university. 

“I enjoy criminology because I have always watched crime detective shows,” Forry said. “It feels like it is a very interesting workplace and changes everyday.”

In college, Forry plans to take some basic classes required for his major, and he’s excited to take on the challenge.

“I don’t know specifically what classes I’m going to be taking [in except for] your standard law development and criminal justice courses,” Forry said.

Teachers at Oakmont have really affected how Forry is today, and it is one of the reasons Forry enjoys school. 

“The teachers at Oakmont are very supportive and really do their best to help everyone,” Forry said. “Mr. Hodge was able to take a boring old math class and turn it into some sort of game and really it helped keep everyone interested.” 

As of now, Forry has applied to eight colleges and his top choice is Sonoma State. He’s excited for what the future holds.