The Man Behind Oakmont’s Student Government

Michael Kentris gives an inside look to where Student Government is at.

Michael Kentris is the Activities Director at Oakmont High School.

Courtesy of Michael Kentris

Sophia Earnest, Staff Writer

Michael Kentris is Oakmont’s Activities Director. After joining Oakmont’s staff only two years ago, Kentris has already made his mark upon the school by trying his best to create a safe environment for all students. 

“At my previous school, my good friend was the Activities Director, and he unfortunately came down with cancer,” Kentris said. “I was asked if I wanted to carry on his legacy and continue the hard work of an Activities Director, and I have never looked back.”

With this being his tenth year of teaching, the past six have been as a Student Government teacher after unexpectedly stepping up to the plate. He was previously a history teacher and football coach at his former school; nonetheless, he was still very involved in school activities. 

This year has only been Kentris’ second year at Oakmont, but the event he enjoys most hosted by Student Government is the Secret Santa program.

“The act of service often goes unnoticed as a quality of a leader,” Kentris said. “I believe it is truly humbling to be able to give back to the community and think it is an amazing program to help others.”

This program works with local elementary schools to spread some extra cheer during the holiday season. Student Government is all about helping the community on and off of campus, and this is a prime example. However, the class has been unable to function normally with the present situation.

“I miss the students,” Kentris said. “Students are the heartbeat of a school, and without them the school is missing a vital piece of energy on campus every day.”

Considering the unprecedented time we are stuck in, Kentris reminisces on the campus vibe. The ‘normal’ for the school year has shifted with the usual upbeat energy falling short due to having a lack of rallies, sports, and activities.

“We are trying really hard to put out online events,” Kentris says. “We have conducted lunchtime games, online clubs, and even a virtual rally.”

Since Student Government is a class that thrives on being on campus, seeking to create a comfortable environment for students has struggled to transition to an online model. The class has adapted to hosting online events to keep students involved, including the most recent virtual rally. 

This Halloween themed virtual rally took place on October 30, being the first virtual rally of the year hosted by Student Government. 

“It was a success,” Kentris expresses. “We are trying to keep a school culture and have events. We are truly doing the best we can for the Oakmont community.”

The rally in question was a 20 minute video sent to all students’ inboxes. Although the rally was very different from the normal, it adapted well to an online model while keeping students engaged.

Students could reminisce on the good times with features of the usual dance and cheer performances, as well as students being involved with a variety of contests, including a Halloween art competition.

Even though events like these make the school year feel more traditional, students think of the prospects of the spring semester with students being back on campus.

“We are rolling with the guidelines that we are allowed to operate under,” Kentris states. “We hope spring semester allows us to have more on-campus activities, fingers crossed!”

In question of the likelihood of returning to the normal event calendar, Kentris relays that it is still unknown. With the anticipation of students coming back to campus, the class is essentially stuck in a situation where time will tell.

“As for the winter, we have the following events coming down the pipeline,” Kentris states. “Canned food drive, clothing drive, homeslessness awareness week, ‘Dude, be nice week,’ finals stress management and coping skills, and a winter rally!”

Within the next few weeks, there are some lively events to keep students on their toes in the time leading up to finals. The class will be presenting forms of enjoyable entertainment for the student body while touching on some important subjects.

Even though the country is in this troubling time, Kentris is doing his best to keep the calendar jam packed and full of fun! The best way to keep updated with Student Government’s plans is to give their Instagram page, @theoakmontway, a follow!

“As Always, It’s A GREAT day to be a Viking.”