Hobbies of Students During Quarantine

Courtesy of Alexandria Antuzzi, Mason Harder, and Peyton Cook

Top left: A few clients of Alexandria Antuzzi’s nail business. Top right: Mason Harder spending time with a professional coder. Bottom: Some friendship bracelets that Peyton Cook has made.

Brianna Nusom, Staff Writer

Many students have used quarantine as a way to branch out and accumulate new or continue old hobbies. Students have found themselves with a lot of extra free time from being quarantined for six months.

Freshman Peyton Cook has revisited her hobby of bracelet making during quarantine. Cook started making friendship bracelets at a summer camp that she went to and decided to do it throughout the quarantine because she wanted to get better at it and over time, create more advanced friendship bracelets. 

“I have made a total of 4 bracelets during quarantine so far,” Cook said. “Most of them are really easy to make.”

Senior Alexandria Antuzzi has been offering acrylic nails to people for $20. She started learning about acrylics and polygel nails about five years ago.

“I have always been into the arts, such as drawing, music, and creating new things,” Antuzzi said. “I started doing nails in middle school and never pursued it on other people.”

COVID-19 inspired Antuzzi to open a small business due to her unemployment during the pandemic. 

“Making unemployment money wasn’t the end for me,” Antuzzi said. “I wanted to work for my money instead of having it given to me. I get to do what I love while earning some extra cash.”

Sophomore Mason Harder has been coding during the period of quarantine. During the learning process,  it took him about ten hours to learn the basics of coding. He started learning about coding in the beginning of summer.

“I have always been interested in coding,” Harder said. “However, when I got a new computer, I decided to dedicate some time to learning about this cool skill.” 

Quarantine has been very beneficial for students to discover and build upon their hobbies.