Virtual School from a Teacher’s perspective

How teachers are affected by the new distance learning

Lily Harrison

Many teachers have had to adapt to distance learning in order to continue to teach students adequately.

A majority of people are aware that daily distance learning has been a tough challenge to face. However, how are our teachers dealing with this and what are the many issues that have stemmed from it?

“I think a lot of us feel this way,” Spanish teacher Ana Kerns said.“It’s been incredibly overwhelming . . . and we say it so much that it doesn’t have the weight that that word means, but we are at our wits end and it has been challenging.”

This seems to be a common occurrence that virtual teaching has caused many teachers to feel. Most felt stressed and overwhelmed at how this year could turn out. 

“I’d suppose the first and foremost issue I’ve had to deal with is the chronic uncertainty,” Spanish teacher Clayton Rehmus said. “Uncertainty of trying something new (distance learning), uncertainty of student reaction, uncertainty of the course of the virus, uncertainty over whether reopening will spike numbers.”

Even through the constant stream of problems Zoom has caused, as well as the daily discoveries from virtual teaching, many teachers and administration have tried to find the good in these new situations.

“I think distance learning helps keep students organized, no longer can students say they lost a paper in their backpack,” English teacher Chay Thomas said. “I also think that distance learning is preparing students for the increasingly tech-savvy world: both college and career paths are becoming more digital, distance learning is going to give all students a leg up in whatever post-graduation path they choose.” 

Along with the skills students acquire from doing mostly online school, many teachers spoke of new skills they gathered from their time as being an online administrator.

“Zoom has forced me to become a more nimble teacher, I think,” Rehmus said. “I’m not saying I wasn’t flexible prior to digital learning because I think flexibility is a required trait for veteran teachers. It has made me realize that I have to slow way down.”

Nonetheless, throughout all of the hardships teachers face, one can see how much is done for the students to help promote and continue to learn as if it was a regular day on-site at Oakmont.

“I absolutely miss the daily interactions with students, the jokes, the fist bumps . . . I miss my communities – professional and personal – and I am delighted to see my students grow and evolve,” Rehmus said.