On your marks!

The track season kicked off with a meet at Sac State.

More stories from Amelia Bella

Amelia Bella // Norse Notes

Oakmont’s track team performing at their peak.

The 2018-2019 track season has begun and the athletes are working hard to prepare for the upcoming meets.

On March 2, there was a varsity meet held at Sacramento State University. Most notably, the boys’ 4×200 meter race got fourth place overall with a time of 1:34 and the girls’ 4×400 got third overall with a time of 4:19.

“I think that my teammates and I did great, especially in the cold and rainy weather,” senior Noah Johnson said. “The team overall did good and everyone that competed put in all their effort.”

In order to get ready for the meets that lie ahead, athletes have to train and equip themselves for their events.

“I train every weekend with a personal trainer that my parents got me, three hours each day, and then I go to track practice, and after that I do my little runs and everything,” sophomore Eliana Baissa said.

Track season has been what many spring athletes have been waiting for all year.

“I’m looking forward to the competition of running against other schools,” Johnson said. “I’m also looking forward to having a great season and seeing how far it takes me because I love the sport and I want to take it as far as possible and end my high school career on a good note.”

Many competitors are returning from last year and hope that this track season will be a success.

“I think we’ll do pretty well [this season],” Baissa said. “We have all our seniors [who] are amazing people, the freshmen look pretty good, the sophomores look good too, and I have a lot of hope for the juniors because they are really fast and really good.”

At the meet on March 2 Oakmont’s boys’ 4×100 team placed in the top ten. Their time was 45.12 seconds and they are already training to beat that time and to improve their own running skills.

“I know I can improve by conditioning myself more [for my races] and by remembering to keep my arms pumping fast so that I can run faster,” Johnson said.