AP/IB Info Night steers students into the ultimate path for high school

Sophia Socolova, Staff Writer

On January 24, at 6:00 p.m., the Oakmont Theatre is hosting the AP/IB Info Night to inform students and parents about the various academic paths that Oakmont offers.

The night is aimed toward helping incoming freshmen decide which classes to take in order to be prepared for certain programs, as well as guiding juniors and seniors to decide what IB path is ideal for them.

It is a place for students to gain a clear overview and to gather as much information as possible about IB and AP.

“We want the students to find the curriculum and path that’s best for them,” IB Coordinator and teacher Jolie Geluk said.

AP Coordinator and teacher, Christine Rossmiller, urged students to ask questions about classes that interest them.

“Talk to the teachers you have had this year, your counselor, and other people who have taken the course,” Rossmiller said.

Students should be dynamic and open-minded when collecting information about classes they are curious about.

“Being proactive about AP and IB courses is a great first step to being successful, ” Rossmiller said. “Follow your interests and choose courses in subjects you want to explore and learn about.”

The attendance is growing every year and Oakmont is expecting two to three hundred people attending on Thursday night, making seats difficult to find.

“Get there early because it’s often standing-room only,” Geluk said.

The coordinators trust that students are capable of persevering in these courses through strong determination and the help of teachers, who are always there to guide students in their time of need.

“Commit to doing your personal best,” Rossmiller said. “Talk to [your teachers] when you are worried or stressed. We want to help!”