Volleyball is KILLing it! Ponderosa is next…

Aubrey Smith, Staff Writer

Varsity girls’ volleyball is on a huge winning streak; they are 8-1 in league. If they win their senior night game tonight against Ponderosa they will be tied for first place in league.

When asked about if there is any extra pressure being the libero, sophomore Jordyn Pahkim said, “No I do not feel like the pressure should be on me. If we all work together and play the position we are supposed to, that is how we will become successful.”

Despite only having two seniors, this young team is dominating on the court. Last year Oakmont ended 8-6 in League with two devastating loses to Ponderosa but this season, after going 1-6 in preseason, things are looking up.

“Getting to lead the team and getting to spend time with the younger girls is fun,” senior Amanda Raigosa said. “I think we are doing really well this season, and I am excited for our game tonight against Ponderosa.”

With their success this season comes a guaranteed trip to playoffs and a shot at winning state. Their last league game is tonight and their playoff schedule will be announced on Friday the 19th.

“[Winning so many games is] a little unexpected because most of our seniors and starters left,” sophomore Emma Hirsch said. “Just having such a young team do so well in its first year is surprising.”

Tonight is the last League game of the season and senior night for girls’ volleyball so come out the Oakmont to show your support. The junior varsity game starts at 5 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 6 p.m. in the Oakmont gym.

“I am just excited to see how it turns out and how well we play,” Hirsch said.