Alabama birthday party shooting

Alabama town waits for answers after a birthday party turns deadly.

Candle light vigil held for the victims of the shooting, candles with names of four victims are seen in frame.

NPR

Chris Restivo, Staff Writer

The small town of Dadeville, Alabama has been shaken deeply as a 16th birthday party was recently the target of a mass shooting, leaving four dead and at least 32 injured.

The shooting happened at approximately 10:34 pm Saturday at Mahogany’s Masterpiece dance studio on North Broadnax Street in downtown Dadeville.

Keenan Cooper, the DJ for the event, had to stop the event briefly when he heard someone had a gun. He asked all of those with weapons to leave, but no one did; and not much later, the gunfire started.

Two of the victims were Dadeville High School seniors. The school is deeply shaken by the loss, as the school of 456 students had grief counselors at the school on Monday.

Another victim of the shooting was 18-year-old  Philstavious “Phil” Dowdell.

Dowdell was a star football player, set to play at Jackson State University. Dowdell was just weeks away from graduating Dadeville High School. 

The party was being held for Dowdell’s sister Alexis. He came to get Alexis after hearing that someone at the party had a gun.

Rick Rodriguez, head football coach at Jackson State University, mourned the death of Dowdell in a statement on Twitter.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Philstavious Dowdell and the other victims of the senseless tragedy last night,” Rich said. “He was a great young man with a bright future.”

The last victim was Corban Holston (23) who had gone to check on his younger family at the party. The shooting happened soon after Holston arrived. He was able to get his younger relative to safety before succumbing to his injuries.

No one was arrested at the scene, but over the course of a few days, several suspects would be arrested.

Six arrests have been made in connection to the shooting: Ty Reik McCullough (17), Travis McCullough (16), LaMar Hill Jr. (20), and Willie George Brown Jr. (19) and an unnamed 15 year old from Tuskegee have all been arrested and are facing reckless murder charges.

All suspects are being held in Tallapoosa County Jail without bond.