Roseville youth drag show canceled after community complaints

Youth drag fundraiser canceled by Roseville High School after a local organization sent complaints.

ABC10

Roseville High School recently canceled a youth drag show following several complaints.

Aidan Cusack, Staff Writer

A youth drag show fundraiser in Roseville has been canceled by the Roseville Joint Union High School District following complaints from a local religious organization. 

The Landing Spot, a local support group for LGBTQIA+ youth, has held a youth drag show in years prior to support the program’s summer camp and support groups. This year, they searched for a larger venue, renting out the Roseville High School theater.

Following the announcement of the show, several members of a local judeo-christian advocacy group, called The American Council, sent complaints to the district office. Tanner Di Bella, the leader of the council, said in a press release that the organization’s complaints were to “advance values that are related to life, liberty, morality, and family.”

The district ultimately decided to revoke the Landing Spot’s permit to hold the event at Roseville High School. In a statement, the district said that “the Landing Spot did not accurately describe the type of fundraising event they planned” when booking the event, thus violating “the Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 1330.” The district added that there were “concerns as to potential threats to the safety of students and staff.”

With the cancellation of the drag show, the Landing Spot is seeking other methods of fundraising. Casey Tinnin, the founder of the organization, said that the outreach groups are essential to giving LGBTQIA+ teenagers “a future and a hope.”