Week three Oakmont baseball recap

A great week for the Oakmont Vikings brings high hopes for the season.

The+Oakmont+Vikings+after+rivalry+game+victory+against+Granite+Bay.+

Dene Ogle

The Oakmont Vikings after rivalry game victory against Granite Bay.

Andrew Perry, Sports Editor

The Oakmont Vikings had a long week, spanning four straight games from March 15-18. The Vikings played the Kelseyville Knights, Del Oro Golden Eagles, Granite Bay Grizzlies and the Thomas Downey Knights, making for a very tough four game stretch.

The Vikings began the week against the Kelseyville Knights, starting sophomore Trevor Wilson for his first career varsity start on the mound. The Vikings scored steadily throughout the game, supporting Wilson’s great outing on the mound. Wilson would pitch 5.1 innings, only giving up two hits with two strikeouts.

Brady Fearn and Reid Harris would finish out the game on the mound, shutting out the Knights.

At the plate, senior shortstop Adam Reyes went 3-for-4 with two singles and a double, bringing in three runs, and lead the Vikings’ charge in beating the Kelseyville Knights 6-0, improving to 2-2 on the season. 

On Thursday the 16th, the Vikings were at home again against the Del Oro Golden Eagles. There was not much insight on the Golden Eagles, because they had played only one game going into the matchup. Ayden Dringenberg got his second start of the season on the mound, and pitched well; throwing four innings, giving up four hits and three runs, while recording four strikeouts.

Reid Harris would come in again in relief, recording 1.1 innings while giving up four hits, and three runs – but had three strikeouts. Adam Reyes came into the game in relief of Harris, closing out the game through 1.2 innings. 

Junior Tony Lira had a great day at the plate, going two-for-three with a clutch solo home run in the bottom of the sixth, giving the Vikings an insurance run, making the score 8-6 in favor of the Vikings. Adam Reyes would close out the tight game, defeating the Golden Eagles by the score of 8-7, improving to 3-2 on the season, and 2-0 on the week. 

On Friday the 17th, the Vikings played probably the most anticipated game of the week against the crosstown rival Granite Bay Grizzlies. The Grizzlies entered the game after a big win against the Woodcreek Timberwolves, who are a very good team, with division one talent. The Vikings started ace Kurt Marton for this big game. He pitched six innings for the Vikings, giving up four hits and only three runs, while racking up seven strikeouts against a strong Grizzlies lineup. 

The Vikings put on an offensive display against the Grizzlies through the short game; bunting, stealing, and the hit-and-run. This all opened up the field for more balls to drop in for hits around Grizzlies defenders. Tony Lira, Cooper Kunis, Beau Ogles, Brady Fearn, and Trevor Wilson would be the fuel at the plate for the Vikings in this big game. The Vikings stunned the Granite Bay Grizzlies on their own field, 11-3. 

To wrap up the week, the Vikings traveled to Modesto to play the Thomas Downey Knights, who they have bad blood with because the Knights eliminated the Vikings in the 2022 Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs. 

The Vikings started senior right hander Reid Harris, in pursuit of redemption against the Knights. Both teams would trade runs in the first inning, making it 1-1 going to the top of the second inning. Harris threw just two innings, giving up a single hit with a single strikeout. 

In the third inning, the Vikings would go to Beau Ogles to pitch. Ogles did outstanding, and kept the Knights’ bats at bay, giving the Vikings a chance to score and take a lead. The Vikings struggled to get runs across until a two-RBI single at the hands of Gabe Carillo. This put the lead at 3-1 going into the final inning of the game.

Ogles would shut the Knights down in the bottom of the sixth, and the Vikings brought in Jaylan Patterson to close out the game. Patterson did his job and shut down the Knights, sealing the 3-1 ballgame and the perfect 4-0 week for the Vikings.