The tricennial ode of “Singles”

30 years later, “Singles” remains the love letter for Seattle’s grunge movement.

Wikimedia Commons

In the romantic comedy, “Singles” prevails by celebrating the booming grunge era of Seattle.

Brianna Nusom, Arts and Entertainment Editor

On Sept. 18, 1992, “Singles” was released across theaters starring Bridget Fonda, Kyra Sedgwick, Matt Dillon, and Campbell Scott, and features cameos by members of several bands native to Seattle. 

Written, directed, and produced by Cameron Crowe, the ‘92 narrative film centers on navigating relationships between friends, partners, and within the individual.    

Filmed in numerous Seattle locations, the film captures the authenticity of Seattle’s environment, which is also depicted through the characters’ dialogue, wardrobe, and mannerisms.

The film comprises appearances from Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, and Jeff Ament, who play members of the fictional band Citizen Dick alongside Dillon’s character Cliff Poncier as the frontman. Citizen Dick features one of their tracks in the movie which is a spoof of Mudhoney’s debut single “Touch Me I’m Sick”, another Seattle-based group. 

“Singles” also includes live performances from Alice In Chains (AIC) and Soundgarden as a part of the plot. AIC gives a riveting performance of “Would?” from their sophomore album “Dirt” and “It Ain’t Like That” from their debut album “Facelift”. Soundgarden performs “Birth Ritual” in the same rocketing environment later in the film. 

With numerous fourth-wall breaks and introspective monologues, this conventional film gave the audience and critics mixed reviews due to the lack of cause and effect, plot development, and character complexity. One thing for certain is the soundtrack remains eminent regarding each esteemed artist from the Washington area. 

With a heavy emphasis on grunge and alternative rock, “Singles: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” (1992) consists of tracks from Washington-derived artists such as Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Jimi Hendrix, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, and the Lovemongers. 

The “Singles” compilation album elevates the overall environment the film creates of the Seattle music scene. 

With the exceptional soundtrack, “Singles” illustrates the importance of the grunge crusade and how it exploded within Seattle. The younger crowd was wildly enthusiastic about the sudden change from the optimistic, pop-like music from the ‘70s and early ‘80s. Artists became the voice of a generation with their angst-reliant and introspective lyrics. Grunge in turn shaped an entire generation from its impact on attitudes, fashion, entertainment, and politics.

On the surface, “Singles” seems to fall short with the cliché, predictable, and derivative plot, but in actuality, the cult classic immerses the audience in the uprising and culture of grunge ⎯ a time capsule of the profound movement that engrossed the rest of the world to this day.