The vending machines are back at Oakmont

Finding out other students opinions on the new vending machines.

Renewed Oakmont Vending Machines.

Leah Maupin

Renewed Oakmont Vending Machines.

Leah Maupin, Staff Writer

As the new school year at Oakmont High school began, students were welcomed back with many new changes, one being bringing back the beloved vending machines.

The vending machines were very popular pre-covid as they were filled with many treats and drinks students could quickly grab before class and during lunch. 

But soon after covid hit, the school closed them down and didn’t reopen them until this year. Last year – being the first full year in person since covid – students started wondering why Oakmont never opened them back up even after the mask mandate ended. 

Throughout the year many students started petitions to get the vending machines back up and running, and despite great efforts made by the student body, Oakmont remained reluctant to open the vending machines.

But this year, Oakmont surprised us all with three vending machines sitting in front of the cafeteria, two being filled with snacks and the other water.

Sophomore Leah Edwards gives her opinion on the new vending machines.

“They are very convenient and the water especially is really nice to have,” Edwards said.

“Although I would add energy drinks and/or coffee because I always run out of energy at school and it would be nice to have that kind of resource at school,” Edwards said.

Some were disappointed by the new vending machines, and were expecting more from them. 

“The problem is that there’s not a very good variety of snacks,” Edwards said. “There’s really only stale chips and rock solid rice krispies”.

Edwards isn’t alone with this opinion, as sophomore Kimberly Davidson also explains her problems with the vending machine snacks. 

“They don’t have a good variety of stuff, the chips are not good and taste stale,” Davidson said. “The only good thing is the water bottles, those are nice to get after pe.”

Davidson and Edwards both think that the vending machines need an upgrade in variety of snacks, but both are grateful for the water bottles after a long, hot afternoon.

Davidson also explains what she would do differently if she were in charge.

“I would put more vending machines out around campus, since there’s always a long line for them during lunch,” Davidson says. “Maybe even charge less for water since it’s a necessity to live.”

While we appreciate the vending machines being back, it would be nice if the student body could have more say in what we put in them.