Chatting with Luke Chaussee

The senior talks about his aspirations for his future and reflects on his time at Oakmont.

Laila Abicht

Chaussee hopes to study civil engineering in college, but is still enjoying his last year at Oakmont.

Cali Rowe, Staff Writer

Luke Chaussee, a senior at Oakmont, is in his last year here, but is also set to take on college and the world after high school.

Chaussee is preparing for college by taking courses that will prepare him adequately, whilst taking part in activities he enjoys to relax. 

“I spend a lot of my time doing schoolwork because I have all AP classes,” Chaussee said. “But, I enjoy playing basketball and watching sports [like] basketball, soccer, football, [and] baseball.”

Chaussee reflects on how it’s weird that he is now a senior. Due to COVID 19 his entire high school experience evolved. But, he is still trying to make the most of his final year at Oakmont despite the hardships these last two years have created.

“It’s strange because I was a sophomore, and then the pandemic hit, and now I’m a senior. But it’s whatever,” Chaussee said. “It’s tough, trying to enjoy like my last year of high school before 

college.”

After high school, Chaussee plans on attending a four-year university, and he already has schools and a major in mind.

“[I want to] go to a four year university right after high school, and probably major in civil engineering,” Chaussee said. “Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UC Santa Barbara, [or] University of Washington Seattle.”

Chaussee feels secure for his future, and he believes that both his classes and his teachers at Oakmont have helped him get ready for college.

“I have a lot of very good teachers that help me feel like I get smarter every day,” said Chaussee. “There are a lot of teachers that care about you and your future, and they help provide . . . the platform.”

Chaussee says he will miss Oakmont, but he’s excited for college. Throughout his years of school, he has learned many lessons that will help him in the long run.

“Stay ahead of your work,” Chaussee said. “Try and challenge yourself and put yourself in positions that’ll make you uncomfortable, because that’s how you grow.”