Homecoming Wrap Up

A brief summary and the highlights of Oakmont’s Homecoming spirit week

Isa Moore

Oakmont’s student section and cheer team prepare for their Homecoming game

Lily Harrison, Staff Writer

Oakmont’s Disney themed spirit week started off with a bang. 

Student Government’s dress up prompts kicked off the week with a Pajama Day for all students. This Pajama Day—which paid homage to “Alice in Wonderland”—occurred on Monday, followed by Tropical Day, College Day, Western Day, and then a total all-school Pink-Out. 

Tropical Day represented “Finding Nemo,” College Day for “Monsters University,” and Western Day stood for the “Toy Story” franchise. The Pink-Out organized on Friday, however, was solely in support of breast cancer awareness.

The final day of Oakmont’s spirit week was what led up to the Homecoming rally and football game. For the students, it was a day filled with an annual rally and the anticipation of the Homecoming court winners, announced later that night at the football game.

Students had previously been voting for their peers running for court in the week prior. All the votes were gathered and counted, finalizing a winner, which would be announced at halftime during the football game. Before this, each individual member of the Homecoming Court was recognized during the rally on Friday morning.

The rally consisted of a few main events. These included performances from Oakmont’s dance and cheer team, the recognition of the Varsity football team, and a game played by students and teachers; all of which was wrapped up by the showing of the floats created by students.

The floats went in order by grade. Freshmen, making theirs based on “Finding Nemo,” went through a quirky skit of two inflatable sharks fighting. The Sophomores recreated an “Alice in Wonderland” scene, Juniors did theirs based on “Toy Story,” each having a skit portraying some type of scene from their movie. The Seniors created theirs relating back to “Monsters Inc.” The final winners were announced during the halftime show at the game.

Later that night, both Junior Varsity and Varsity played Nevada Union Highschool for their Homecoming game.

During the halftime show, the final winners of Oakmont’s Homecoming Court were announced. These included Freshmen Braiden Bernard and Jonathan Miller, Sophomores Yuri Mujica and Nayelli Arteagal, Juniors Adam Reyes and Teagan Fair, and finally, Seniors JD Devgun and Vivian Windsor.

Along with the announcement of the homecoming court, the winners of the floats were announced. The seniors won by two votes in the final competition with their rendition of “Monsters Inc.”

After JV football’s loss, Oakmont’s Varsity team continued a neck and neck game with Nevada Union Highschool following the halftime entertainment. 

Seconds before the end of the game Oakmont quarterback, Daniel Myles, threw a pass down the field to the receiver Tristan Ogles, which would have scored Oakmont a touchdown, if not for a holding call made against the Vikings. 

The Oakmont Varsity Football team lost, 28-21.

Oakmont’s spirit week was inevitably wrapped up with the Homecoming dance, where students came together to celebrate high-school fun amidst a Disney theme organized by Student Government.