Cooking with Mrs. Ehrig

Meet one of our amazing culinary arts teachers

Courtesy of Breanna Ehrig

Picture of Breanna Ehrig with her husband and daughter Stella.

Laurie Lencioni, Staff Writer

One of our amazing culinary teachers at Oakmont is Breanna Ehrig, who has been teaching here for seven years. She teaches Culinary 1 and Culinary 2.

“I love sharing my passion for food and the culinary world with [students],” Ehrig said.

Ehrig absolutely loves teaching the students at Oakmont and she has loved all seven years of teaching here. She also loves working with the staff and finds the staff to be very supportive.

“My favorite subjects to study, when I was in school, were always health and nutrition,” Ehrig said.

When Ehrig was younger, she had taken a lot of nutrition classes which she thought were going to be a main part of her career. She later on changed into teaching culinary arts to high school students for an internship opportunity and hasn’t wanted to leave since.

“I did an internship . . . and I loved it because it combines my love for food nutrition and teaching,” Ehrig said.

When asked if teaching was always part of the plan for her future,  she thought back to her childhood and remembered how she always saw herself teaching. She then jumped on the opportunity to do so and absolutely loved it. 

When Ehrig was asked what the most memorable moments of her teaching career were, she said that the cafes her classes did were the most memorable.

“Cafes that have gone really well,” Ehrig said, “Also . . . a couple cafes where maybe different parts of the meal did not go as planned.”

Whether they go well or not, she enjoys the memories that come from each cafe. Another moment is having to teach culinary classes over Zoom. 

While Ehrig loves certain foods more than others, she does love to try new things all the time.

“I love doughnuts . . . I also love fruits,” Ehrig said. “I love all fruits and that is probably my go to.”

Ehrig is always willing to try something new and has a passion for learning new things.

“I just like trying new things, trying new foods, trying new cooking techniques, trying new recipes and so I always want to make something different,” Ehrig said.

When Ehrig was asked about her favorite dish to prepare, she had no specific answer. Ehrig loves experimenting with different recipes and rarely makes the same thing twice.

Ehrig loves her family and truly enjoys spending time with them. She is preparing for a baby boy and is excited for a new chapter in her life.

“I like spending time with [my daughter] Stella, and I like spending time with my husband,” Ehrig said.