Health Academy Students and Teachers’ Opinions on Spring Semester

Health+Academy+students+have+no+choice+but+to+sign+up+to+go+to+school+to+still+participate+in+the+Health+Academy.+

Courtesy of Pixabay

Health Academy students have no choice but to sign up to go to school to still participate in the Health Academy.

Anirudh Mepperla, Staff Writer

With new changes made by the Roseville School District, some Health Academy teachers are not a fan of this new setup.

I am sad to think that students need to make a choice between their health and the Health Academy,” Health Academy teacher Traci Montgomary said. “I sincerely hope we can find a way for students to continue in the program.”

Many students are also not fans of this new setup.

“I believe that it is somewhat irrational to force students in Health Academy to attend full time on campus as health should be their number one priority,” junior Greg Dimapilis said. “The students could have old relatives at home and the board should give them an option to choose RSVLA.”

However, the district has no choice, they are only a limited number of students in the academy.

“[It is] understandable because the RSVLA curriculum [is not] just from Oakmont, so it’s a lot harder to get Health Academy classes in there, and there will probably not be many students from Health Academy in RSVLA, so it is really [not] worth adding classes,” sophomore Eli Hester said.

There are different ways to make sure the students are happy while also meeting the board’s requirements such as creating a hybrid schedule.

“An alternative that I can suggest is that the board should let students do a hybrid schedule and only attend school at certain days where physical presence is needed to learn or be tested, such as bed making and check-offs,” Dimapills said.

Another way is to let the students attend classes through Zoom.

“I would say we just have those students remain on Zoom while everyone else is in class . . . for the few kids from the health academy that don’t want to come back to school,” Hester said.