Online Student Athlete

Andrew Richards is an offensive lineman for Oakmont

Courtesy of Andrew Richards

Senior Andrew Richards playing football during the 2019-2020 football season during his junior year.

Jack Eby, Staff Writer

Senior Andrew Richards is a student athlete, and this year has been much different for him from past years. 

With distance learning or hybrid learning being the only options right now for students, it is hard for student athletes to have a normal year. Everyone’s schedules have changed this year and changed the dynamic of school, but some change has been beneficial.

“I would say that online schooling has been good for the most part, and it has affected my habits [by allowing] me to be more organized and productive with my work,” Richards said.

Although his school work has improved, the athlete part of student athletes has been completely altered. Richards is an offensive lineman for the varsity football team. With the COVID-19 rules, it is hard for the football player to get back to a normal routine

“As for  football, I miss the day to day grind that a student athlete has to go through and the connection and the bond that as a team we form throughout the year,” Richards said.

However, Richards is optimistic about the rest of the school year and getting to play football soon. 

“Hopefully by the end of the year we are able to get back to what we love doing and play football,” Richards said.

Even though he is not getting to play football right now, Richards is maintaining his positivity and finding the good throughout the season.