Thrifting During the Pandemic

How has COVID-19 affected this popular trend?

Amanda Kinney

Thrifting is a fun hobby that many people enjoy, but due to COVID there are new rules when shopping in thrift stores.

Unique Hartke, Staff Writer

Thrifting has become very popular in our community because it is an easy and affordable way to get cute clothes for significantly lower prices. However, thrifting is often seen as “unsanitary” during these times.

Because of the impact of COVID-19, thrift stores are taking precautions to make sure that their customers are safe. These include mandating mask wearing at all times, providing hand sanitizer before and after customers shop, and closing their dressing rooms.

“I went thrifting once during COVID because I was donating clothes, so I looked around,” freshman Fendi Hartke said. “They are actually very cautious. You have to wear a mask the whole time and put hand sanitizer on when you come in and before you leave. I’ve just been extra careful, like I don’t touch everything, and I only look at what I like.” 

Many people like to go thrift shopping because they can find a lot of clothes for a better price. People have also been donating during these times, so there’s a lot to choose from at many different stores.

“Most of the time I prefer normal stores only because there are certain brands I like that I may not find at thrift stores, but if you’re looking for good prices and more quantity then thrifting is always a good option,” Hartke said.

There are many different thrift stores around Roseville, including both big chains  and smaller businesses. A lot of them also accept donations, so if customers have any clothes they don’t want anymore, they could always donate them.

“I like to support small [businesses] because I feel like the bigger chain stores aren’t as good,” Hartke said. “I don’t really find anything at Goodwill, but I usually find stuff at like smaller stores.”

Thrifting is always fun, but customers should make sure to take COVID precautions and to be safe. Avoiding going with several people and wearing a mask at all times are good ways to ensure one’s safety.

“Just be safe,” Hartke said. “Don’t go if you don’t really need anything because COVID is still spreading, so be considerate. If you do go, wear a mask.”