AP Distance Learning

What is it like taking AP classes while in distance learning?

Courtesy of Pixabay

Students are attending their classes from home.

Anirudh Mepperla, Staff Writer

Many students are taking challenging Advanced Placement (AP) classes while on distance learning.

“Distance learning has made it harder especially for AP classes because you don’t get that face to face interaction with the teachers and peers,” senior Arnav Patel said. 

Students taking AP classes also have the challenge of not getting distracted.

“Distance learning has made it harder to learn because I feel less motivated as I’m studying and doing school [from] my home,” sophomore Aaron Ryu Decena said. “I feel easily distracted rather than being in a school setting where I can focus and ask my teachers for help especially while taking my first AP class.”

As many people are struggling while taking AP classes online, some people think it is easier compared to in-person.

“Distance learning actually made it easier because the classes are an hour so we have more time to do our homework” junior Veeral Patel said.

Interaction with other students is really important during higher level classes. However, many teachers don’t give opportunities to talk to other students because the classes are so short.

“Especially this being my first AP class, I’ve . . . adjusted by working with my friends on assignments and working together [outside of class],” Decena said.

To succeed in distance learning, being able to learn independently plays a big factor.

“Something that [I] changed . . . from the first day of school was for me having to watch some videos if I didn’t know how to do a certain thing and [also] learning independently,” Veeral Patel said.

Time is also a challenge for some people.

“Something I’ve changed is [that I] put more extra time into studying,” Arnav Patel said.